Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Story time

Books Books Books...I simply cannot get enough of children’s picture books. Over the past few years we have collected and created our own little library at home for the boys to enjoy and further develop their love of reading. Each and every night it has become a routine where my dear 6yr old selects a book or two and we sit together to read and be taken on a beautiful journey.

Reading, I believe, fosters warmth, love, security and most importantly pleasure. It should not only be a bedtime routine, but reading at any given opportunity to your child is a blessing.

I stumbled across some of Mem Fox’s Ten read-aloud commandments

1. Spend at least ten wildly happy minutes every single day reading aloud. 2. Read with joy and enjoyment: real enjoyment for yourself and great joy for the listeners. 3. Read the stories that the kids love, over and over and over again.

The experts say that children need 1,000 stories read to them before they begin to learn to read for themselves. Sounds like a lot? It’s just three stories a day over a year. ...

I’ve put together a little board of some of our favourite books in our collection at home that we love to read over and over again...X



1 comments:

Chic Mother and Baby said...

Yes you've choosen some classic Australian books that have those wonderful memories. I loved that my mum would read them to me and then see it on playschool. The caterpiller and magic possums were my favourite!!

Post a Comment

Mon Tresor {hearts} comments x

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio